The Role of a Governor
As a governor at Wanstead High School we work with the school on strategic planning, developing policies and keeping the school under review so that all our children achieve their full potential. Governors also monitor and evaluate progress towards the school’s priorities and targets. We are here to ask questions which are probing but hopefully not too confrontational and to work together with the Head Teacher and his staff. We should not be involved in the day to day running of the school, or try to be, and should at all times respect the professionalism of the Head Teacher and his staff.
To be an effective Governing Body it is vital that all governors take an active role.
At Wanstead High School we expect that all governors
- Attend full governing body meetings – These meet six times a year.
- Join one of our committees - currently Teaching and Learning and Finance. These meet four times a year.
- Are willing to sit on discipline panels when requested.
- Become a link governor to a particular department or area, visiting the school at least once a year and reporting back to the full Governing Body. This is a particularly rewarding aspect of our role as it gives us the opportunity to get to know staff, build a greater more in depth knowledge of one subject or area as well as experiencing the workings of the school first hand.
- Be positive ambassadors for the school.
We also hope that all governors will
- Take on other tasks as invited e.g. being part of policy review groups, interview panels and working parties.
- Attend training as and when required from the portfolio of training courses provided by the LEA.
- Attend key school productions, social events and awards evenings when invited.
- Find the role rewarding as it is a major commitment to your time.
Why don’t you consider becoming a governor?
If you have been interested in what you have read and may like to consider becoming a governor in the future please speak to any of our current governors or contact the school and speak to Geraldine Roche.
All parent governor vacancies are advertised through letters home.We look forward to hearing from you.